I'm 21, all sorts of crazy, and slightly obsessed with supernatural, psych, and Grimm. But I will REBLOG anything that captures my interest for .02 seconds
To all those who don’t think the rape joke was a problem, or rape jokes are a problem.
I get it, you’re a decent guy. I can even believe it. You’ve never raped anybody. You would NEVER rape anybody. You’re upset that all these feminists are trying to accuse you of doing something or connect you to doing something that, as far as you’re concerned, you’ve never done and would never condone.
And they’ve told you about triggers, and PTSD, and how one in six women is a survivor, and you get it. You do. But you can’t let every time someone gets all upset get in the way of you having a good time, right?
So fine. If all those arguments aren’t going anything for you, let me tell you this. And I tell you this because I genuinely believe you mean it when you say you don’t want to hurt anybody, and you don’t see the harm, and that it’s important to you to do your best to be a decent and good person. And I genuinely believe you when you say you would never associate with a rapist and you think rape really is a very bad thing.
Because this is why I refuse to take rape jokes sitting down-
6% of college age men, slightly over 1 in 20, will admit to raping someone in anonymous surveys, as long as the word “rape” isn’t used in the description of the act.
6% of Penny Arcade’s target demographic will admit to actually being rapists when asked.
A lot of people accuse feminists of thinking that all men are rapists. That’s not true. But do you know who think all men are rapists?
They really do. In psychological study, the profiling, the studies, it comes out again and again.
Virtually all rapists genuinely believe that all men rape, and other men just keep it hushed up better. And more, these people who really are rapists are constantly reaffirmed in their belief about the rest of mankind being rapists like them by things like rape jokes, that dismiss and normalize the idea of rape.
If one in twenty guys is a real and true rapist, and you have any amount of social activity with other guys like yourself, really cool guy, then it is almost a statistical certainty that one time hanging out with friends and their friends, playing Halo with a bunch of guys online, in a WoW guild, or elsewhere, you were talking to a rapist. Not your fault. You can’t tell a rapist apart any better than anyone else can. It’s not like they announce themselves.
But, here’s the thing. It’s very likely that in some of these interactions with these guys, at some point or another someone told a rape joke. You, decent guy that you are, understood that they didn’t mean it, and it was just a joke. And so you laughed.
And, decent guy who would never condone rape, who would step in and stop rape if he saw it, who understands that rape is awful and wrong and bad, when you laughed?
That rapist who was in the group with you, that rapist thought that you were on his side. That rapist knew that you were a rapist like him. And he felt validated, and he felt he was among his comrades.
You. The rapist’s comrade.
And if that doesn’t make you feel sick to your stomach, if that doesn’t make you want to throw up, if that doesn’t disturb you or bother you or make you feel like maybe you should at least consider not participating in that kind of humor anymore…
Well, maybe you aren’t as opposed to rapists as you claim.
- freakwithsharpies likes this
- quirkypixiemouse reblogged this from loumin0sity
- loumin0sity reblogged this from goawayemma
- goawayemma reblogged this from femsocatlums
- returntosweetnessanddecency reblogged this from irisjoslyn
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- rijiru likes this
- obamaswetdream reblogged this from proudandwhite
- haruchans reblogged this from peabug
- opinions-about-things reblogged this from juliepagano
- theurbananon reblogged this from mymompickedthisurl
- wyckedsyrene reblogged this from mymompickedthisurl
- koarlyis likes this
- pibrox likes this
- iwanteverything127 reblogged this from hows-about-making-out
- awesomebooster likes this
- leahlovespizza reblogged this from whtepalms
- tashajavanpey likes this
- whtepalms reblogged this from vinolence-opacity
- sergisaurusrex reblogged this from archer973
- vinolence-opacity reblogged this from brokeandfam0us
- archer973 reblogged this from raginginsincerity
- raginginsincerity reblogged this from mxanniedelusion
- theangelinmoloch reblogged this from pompompommypom
- thecrescentgrove likes this
- pompompommypom reblogged this from pompompommypom
- holasehun reblogged this from ancestor
- baranchi reblogged this from castielyousonofabitch
- mesmerizedbylife likes this
- miraclesandmeatballs reblogged this from kkatwoman
- clevermuffin reblogged this from kkatwoman
- fleetestfoxes likes this
- kkatwoman reblogged this from twisted-twirl
- madawhatever likes this
- imannaliese reblogged this from tellhimhowmywristissore
- ladyamazonshebeast likes this
- nelko-blacksun reblogged this from jactack
- nelko-blacksun likes this
- clevergirlremember reblogged this from clevergirlremember
- yourenotfab likes this
- thequeenwillseeyounow reblogged this from sarcasmdrips
- bilykaplans likes this
- evoniusreilupeli likes this
- fakerr reblogged this from weliveinarapeculturesociety
- sarcasmdrips reblogged this from lawyercowboy
- thecheesecaker reblogged this from charliethekiwi
- sureeeal reblogged this from ruxula
- when-the-stars-go-out reblogged this from foreverwholocked
- dreamingoutwaffles reblogged this from zxckmerricks
- dreamingoutwaffles likes this